Working on the internet
- I am not able to connect to the Internet
- What to do if your computer really slows down after connecting to the Internet.
- How can I get a Google toolbar on my browser
- How do I configure my Outlook Express for E-mail
- How do I export my contacts to Excel
- Subscribing to Mailing Lists using Outlook Express
- Access the Internet via a Proxy Server
- Set up your PC to go online
- Participate in Usenet Newsgroups using Outlook Express
I am not able to connect to the Internet
Based on how you are connecting your computer to the internet, here are a few pointers you can try. Use the picture to make sure that your connections are fine.
Case 1: If you are connecting directly from modem to the computer.
- Make sure the cable connecting your modem to the computer is connected properly. This could be an ethernet cable or USB cable or ninepin or serial pin connection based on the type of modem you have. Try going online now.
- Try to power cycle the modem. To do this, unplug the modem’s power cable. Wait for 45 seconds and plug it back in. Now restart the computer. This should take care of any IP address issues that you may be facing.
- If you still can’t access the internet, call your ISP – Internet Service Provider.
- Make sure there is no USB cable connected from the modem to the PC.
- An ethernet cable must be plugged in from the Routers Wan or Internet port to the Modem.
- Take the Ethernet cable that came with the router (or any another available Cat5 Straight through cable) and connect it to the computer. Now connect the other end of that cable to Port 2 or the LAN port at the back of your router.
- Plug in the Broadband modem's power cable and wait for all of its lights to stop blinking. Now plug in the router's power cable.
- Log into the router page. Here’s how a typical router page looks:
- Configure your dynamic IP address if you are using a cable connection. If you use a DSL select the PPPOE option and enter the username and password provided by the ISP. Now follow the pages to configure your router. Select the Status tab, under internet, your cable or DSL should show up as connected.
- If your Status shows that you are not connected, then power cycle your router and modem. To do this, unplug your router power cable and then your modem power cable. Now wait for 45 seconds before you plug your modem back on and then your router. Now restart your computer.
- Now try to go online.
Case 2: If you are using a cable connection or DSL
What to do if your computer really slows down after connecting to the Internet.
The simplest way to approach this problem is to start with clearing your temporary internet files and history. Do this by going to the Tools option in your Internet Explorer and clicking on Internet Options. Now delete the temporary files. Here are some of the other options you could try:
Option 1: Update your network drivers.Network Drivers allow your OS to communicate with the adapter hardware.
- Right click on the My computer icon and go to Properties
- In the System properties window select the Hardware tab.
- Click on Device manager and right click on Network Adapters and select the adapter for which you want to update the drivers.
- Select Properties and click on the Drivers tab.
- Click on update drivers
- Log on as a user who has Administrative privileges.
- Click on Start, then choose Control Panel.
- Double-Click on Windows firewall
- Select OFF and click on Apply.
Option 2: Change the firewall settings on your PC
Note: Turning off your windows firewall affects the security of your network.
Another option you could try is to run a virus scan to detect and remove any spyware and virus that may reside on your system.
How can I get a Google toolbar on my browser
By installing the Google toolbar you will be able to search Google from any site that you are accessing. To get your toolbar on your browser:
- Open your browser and in the address bar type www.google.com.
- In the search box type google tool bar and run a search.
- Click on the Install google tool bar link.
- In the window that opens click on the Install Google Toolbar button.
- In the file download screen that shows up, choose Open or Run.
- Once the download is complete click on the Run button.
- Proceed through the remainder of the installation screens. When the installation completes, the Toolbar should appear at the top of your browser screen.
How do I configure my Outlook Express for E-mail
Outlook Express is one of the e-mail clients which comes integrated with the Windows Operating System. You can configure your OE to send and receive your e-mail. For this you need to gather some information from your ISP like:
- Your Username and Password
- Incoming mail server’s Name
- Outgoing mail server’s Name
- Type of incoming mail server – POP3 or IMAP or HTTP.
- Click on Start and go to Outlook Express.
- In the Outlook Express window, go to the Tools menu and click on Accounts.
- In the window that opens up click on Add and select Mail.
- Enter your name as you want it to appear on your emails and click on Next.
- Enter your e-mail address and click on Next.
- Enter your server type given by your ISP. POP3 is one of the popular protocols used by incoming servers.
- Enter your incoming mail server and outgoing mail server. Click on Next.
- Enter your account information in terms of your username and password.
- To finish setting up Outlook Express, click on Next and then click on Finish.
Once you have these information, here’s how you go about it:
Your Outlook Express is now set up to send and receive your e-mails.
How do I export my contacts to Excel
You can transfer your contacts list from Microsoft Outlook contacts
to Microsoft Excel to be able to work with them offline. Here’s how you can do this:
- Open Outlook and from the File menu, select Export. The Import and Export wizard will open.
- Choose Export to a file and click the Next button.
- Choose Microsoft Excel and click on Next.
- Select the Contacts folder and click on Next.
- In the dialog box that opens up, enter the path and name for the exported file (e.g., C:\Windows\Desktop\Contacts.xls). Click on Next.
- In the screen that shows up, make sure to select the checkbox next to the listed item corresponding to the field you want to export.
- Click on Finish. Outlook will create a new file containing your contacts in the excel format.
Subscribing to Mailing Lists using Outlook Express
With the internet being accessible to all, and it being a major source of knowledge waiting to be shared, e-mailing has become very popular. You can actually subscribe to your favorite website’s mailing list and have the information you want delivered to you via e-mail, without you having to go and search for it.
Most mailing lists are properly categorized based on specific topics. You can select topics that interest you from this list to have news or articles to be sent to you. But remember most sites tend to flood your mailbox with newsletters and special offers, so probably dedicate an e-mail account just for subscriptions. Also have the Subscription address and command you need to send to the website to subscribe.
- Click on Start, go to All Programs and launch Outlook Express.
- Click on the Create a New Mail Message option.
- In the Address Bar, type the address of the site you want to subscribe to.
- Also enter the subject and in the main box, the message you want to send in terms of your topics of interest.
- Click on Send.
- Your message will be sent to the concerned site. Most websites send you information on your subscription and details on how to use the list.
You will now be on the mailing list and will soon start getting the information you want. Also if the mailing list allows all its subscribers to participate, you can even send and receive messages from other subscribers of that list.
Access the Internet via a Proxy Server
Most work places don’t allow internet usage through the regular browser page, for security or other reasons. The organization would set up a proxy server to increase the security measures. A proxy server is a firewall of sorts used to restrict computers from going online. This is done to prevent outsiders from gaining access to your organizations files illegally through the internet.
But if your work needs you to research on the net, you would have to connect through the proxy server to download any web pages. Here’s how to do it. But remember to get the address and port number of the proxy server from your Admin team.
- Open your Internet Explorer page. Click on the Tools and go to Internet Options.
- On the Connections tab, select your type of internet connection in the Dial-up Settings box.
- Click on the Settings button. In the window that opens, under Proxy server, check the box Use a proxy server check box.
- Incase you are using the web to access only your firm’s internal web pages, you can check the Bypass the proxy server for local addresses check box.
- Enter the Address and Port in the boxes. Click on OK to save your settings.
Now you will be able access to the internet through your browser.
Set up your PC to go online
Once you get an internet account from your ISP, take care to get all the necessary hardware you require like your modem and cables, your phone line to hook up to the ISP.
Once you have all the necessary setup in place, you need to configure your system to be able to go online. You need to setup your internet connection.
- Click on Start and go to Control Panel. In the Classic View select Internet Options.
- In the Internet Properties window go to the Connections tab. To create a new Internet Connection, click on Setup. The New Connection wizard launches.
- Follow through with the wizard clicking on Next on the page. In the page which shows the Network Connection type, select the type of connection which suits your setup. To surf the internet, select the Connect to the Internet option.
- Click on Next to continue with the wizard
- On the next page on the wizard, select the option, Set up my Connectionmanually option and click on Next.
- In the next screen select the Internet connection type based on your set up – either as dial-up modem or broadband connection. Click on Next.
- Follow the wizard and in the pages that follow feed in your ISP Name, your Phone Number, your Username and password in the appropriate pages. Make sure you select the option to turn on your firewall. Click on Next.
- Click on Finish to complete the setup process.
You’ve now set up an internet connection. You will be able to go online with your username and password.
Participate in Usenet Newsgroups using Outlook Express
Outlook express is a versatile program, which not only caters to your e-mailing needs but also lets you participate in Newsgroups. To become an active member of any news group, you need to get access to a news sever on the internet. Most ISPs provide Usenet. Make sure you get the name of your ISPs news server and also the username and password if any. You can even subscribe to other Usenet news service providers. To set up your Outlook Express to participate in Usenet:
- Click on Start, go to All Programs and launch Outlook Express.
- Click on the Set up a Newsgroups account option. The Internet Connection Wizard starts up.
- Follow through with the wizard and Enter the name you want displayed on your messages. Click on Next to continue.
- Enter the e-mail address you want seen on your Usenet Messages. Click on Next to continue.
- Enter the name of your news-sever and log in using your user name and password if your ISP requires you to. Click on Next to continue.
- Click on Finish to set up your Usenet account.
- Once your Usenet account has been set up, click on Yes to download newsgroups from the News account.
Once you finish the subscription process, you can read your news from that group, by click on the Read News option on your Outlook Express page. You can keep your account updated using the Synchronization tool in Outlook Express.